1/18 VW Golf 7 SCRC Prodrive

• Hello guys...

it's me again with another looooong headache started as of yesterday as I couldn't hold on to my horse....
    I believe this will be also a very long project as I have to finish the Mini and other projects first.

This car had been developed by Prodrive for the Chinese rally team FAW VW Beijing Qingyang as a Regional Rally Car. It's almost similar to a WRC but within Chinese rally federation homologations in group S6...

as we all know the car is based on the seventh generation of the VW Golf. and had been developed by Prodrive within 6 months.... So far I know and had seen, most of the important parts are same as the Mini WRC.

After assembling the car, I realised how much work I should do to convert this guy into replica of the original :)

therefore, please stick all your related detailed photos of this car into this thread as I need many reference photos...

Here is the start of a new Era.....

So impatient so already started to mock up some wheels to see how she will look ;)

Front and rear wide track... I will later build the wide fenders.. I guess the difference between the original to wide ones will be around 1 to 2mm...
    to get started with the wide fenders, first I have to cut the wings a bit higher and then have to increase wheel arches & higher suspension turrets to house more space for the tires as I will lower the car more..

Wish me Luck :)

Here is some information about the car I got from Prodrive's webiste....

GOLF SCRC

The VW Golf SCRC has been designed to compete in championships that run open class type regulations for two litre turbocharged cars with four wheel drive.

The car is based on the latest VW Golf mk VII and has been built to the spirit of the World Rally Car regulations, with many of the proven systems and components, including the Xtrac gearbox and differentials and AP Racing brakes, as well as a roll cage and safety features that encompass the latest FIA standards.

Initially the car has been built to the Chinese Rally Championship regulations, but it can readily be modified to suit almost any suitable open class type championship in the world. *It's base two litre engine is also already used successfully in rallycross and the car could be re-engineered to FIA World Rallycross regulations and for the GRC, as is the case for the MINI RX.

The car’s aero, and in particular the composite rear wing, were all developed in-house. *The bodywork is predominantly the standard steel panels from a five door Golf, but with specially developed flexible carbon composite front and rear bumpers and wings. *These impact resistant panels are far more durable and help maintain the aerodynamic performance at the front.

The Golf SCRC has Macpherson strut suspension front and rear with Prodrive-Ohlins dampers and hydraulic compression stops. *Many of the suspension components, including the anti-roll bars and uprights, are interchangeable front to rear to minimise the number of spares. *The car also has an AP Racing WRC brake package.
    CHASSIS

VW Golf VII five door bodyshell
    Prodrive roll cage to latest FIA standards
    Standard VW steel panels plus flexible composite front and rear bumper and wings
    Carbon composite rear wing

ENGINE
    VW 2 litre, four cylinder, port fuel injection, double overhead cam
    Garrett turbo with 35 mm restrictor (CRC regulations) 2 bar maximum boost
    Cosworth engine management system
    Lead acid battery (Li-ion optional)
    Power >300 bhp

TRANSMISSION
    Permanent four wheel drive
    Gearbox: *Xtrac 6 speed sequential (WRC spec) with steering column mounted manual gear shift
    Clutch: AP Racing sintered twin plate
    Front diff: Xtrac plated limited slip (WRC spec)
    Rear diff: Xtrac plated limited slip (WRC spec)
    Hand brake rear differential release

WHEELS & BRAKES

Gravel:
    15” x 7” ATS wheels
    Front: AP Racing 4 pot calipers and 300 mm discs * * *
    Rear: *AP Racing 4 pot calipers and 300 mm discs

Tarmac:
    18” x 8” ATS wheels
    Front: AP Racing 4 pot calipers 355 mm discs * * *
    Rear: *AP Racing 4 pot calipers 355 mm discs

DIMENSIONS
    Length: *4110 mm
    Width: * *1820 mm
    Weight: *1200 kg (FIA minimum weight)

Below is the catalog that you guys can download more information about the car.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/b7967…b4c8097dce1aafc18ec7c.pdf

well still under excitement of the model so had a cutting and braking day today :)

well still under excitement of the model so had a cutting and braking day today :)

This is going to be a tarmac car. so will be lower and will use 18" wheels. therefore need more openings at the wheel arches...
    so, I had to cut the front and rear arches around 2mm..
    of course this will also cause to scratch build new Inner arches...

so, this is how she looks after I cut of about 2mm...

also need to cut out the hood to prepare the air intakes....

after all these body cuttings done, I will do the same on the floor panel. have to cut and build a differential tunnel, need to scratch build higher inner wheel arches, suspension turrets and many other details before I can go a head with the roll cage....

A case study and I am very much looking forward to you guys comments and suggestions!

Just to lower the car 2mm more and add the differential tunnel I have to cut all the painted areas...
    Wheel arches later on will be scratch build with higher ones.... and turrets will be added...

this is the case study of the night....

comments and suggestions welcome!

Late night work...
    last night I drilled the hood intakes...
    need to tidy them up ;)

also sealed the Sunroof area...
    a bit more putty work needed

and here is my life saver of the day *8)
    today my dremel cutting blazers arrived right on time....
    now I can do the floor panel cuttings

• Nice project Omer! I look forward to the next steps. Good luck for this. :sehrgut:

I need a lot of luck tho :)
    thank you ;)

Your project is awesome. :sehrgut:

thanks, I hope it will be an awesome one once finished :)

Just finished tonights battle :)

that was a big and hard battle or should I say surgery?

next, I have to clean up excess parts and try to make it look more tidy before I start with the styrene job....

thats it for tonight ;)

• Nice project, unfortunately there are too few here in the forum.

:sehrgut:

Am looking forward to the interior.

Unfortunately, too new for me.

Gibt es keinen, dann bau dir einen.... !

Wer Niveau mit Limbo vergleicht, sollte die Latte nicht zu niedrig legen ;)

• Absolutely nice project.
    I really do admire your patience and your will and effort to get the best result with the Mini.
    I always get to that certain point, were I feel I need to finish a project.
    I just wonder, why so many companies, especially VW, are doing their Rally business with 4-door-hatchbacks. 2-door hatchbacks would look so much better and would make more sense too, regarding weight and rigidity.
    But maybe it is, because they want in particular to give the unsporty family carriers a nore sporty image. Same with touringcarracing, 4-door sedans and hatchbacks to be seen there too.:hä:

• Nice project, unfortunately there are too few here in the forum.
    :sehrgut:
    Am looking forward to the interior.
    Unfortunately, too new for me.

thank you
    yes, you are right there are only few of them in the forum, but all are very nicely crafted and build by talented people.
    thats the main reason I like this forum very much. many talented people with nice skills teaching me a lot ;)

Absolutely nice project.
    I really do admire your patience and your will and effort to get the best result with the Mini.
    I always get to that certain point, were I feel I need to finish a project.
    I just wonder, why so many companies, especially VW, are doing their Rally business with 4-door-hatchbacks. 2-door hatchbacks would look so much better and would make more sense too, regarding weight and rigidity.
    But maybe it is, because they want in particular to give the unsporty family carriers a nore sporty image. Same with touringcarracing, 4-door sedans and hatchbacks to be seen there too.:hä:

thank you for your kind words.
    you are absolutely right. I used to do the same way where I have to finish a project to start another project. but time goes by projects started to become more detailed and consume longer time...
    and me as an impatient person to have all the great rally cars in my collection as producers doesn't produce, I changed my mind and start doing many projects at the same time.
    this way, they take longer yes, but you are getting more experience from each of the model and can use those tricks in the other one....
    anyway :)

regarding your question; I would like to give two answers.
    first, this specific car had been developed as 4 doors because its been developed specially for CHINA market as it had been requested by the Chinese rally team and the VW producer here which is called FAW VW.
    currently there is no two door Golf 7 production in China. so considering this they used the 4 door as base. basically, it's marketing.

second answer to your question;
    again related to marketing in any country. but the idea is all same everywhere. the producers trying to show their customers that their cars are reliable and strong. thats one of the main reason producers involve into rallying. develop and prove...
    as you know most of the 2 door cars are more expensive compared to 4 doors as they are more equipped
    but 4 door cars are more public. they would like to give people feeling that they are driving their daily cars as part of a strong image

I hope these long sentences might give you some idea about my point of view...

A very cool project, Omer. Can´t wait for the next update. :hopphopp:

Thank you! glad you liked it.
    I am sure next update about interior will be a challenging one as I have to figure out more photos of the original interior and try to rebuild it using Plastic cards....
    kind of small engineering in here :grimasse:

• Omer...Hardcore :erstaunt:

Frontantrieb ist entgangene Lebensfreude !

• ok guys, here I am back with a small update on the Golf...
    been away for holidays and business trips and hoping to put my hands on the projects next two weeks...

continue with more cutting and some filing...

and our best friend styrene takes it turn

also finished the diff tunnel

rear inner wheel arches taking shape

and they are in place

after some styrene works thats how it looks...
    also did the front's but not that happy how they look, so need another round and build up more accurate

rear suspension turrets done

still need some places to sort and more cleaning. and next update hopefully will be redo the front wheel arches & turrets...

• Wow . Absolut great .:sehrgut::sehrgut::sehrgut:

Bitte keine Anfragen wegen Auftragsarbeiten und Verkauf von selbst hergestellten Zubehör ,wie Felgen,Transkits usw. . Meine eigenen Baustellen reichen mir. Danke 8)

• thank you gentlemen, I am very glad you are all enjoying this build.
    as usual I am a bit turtle type but still the progresses satisfies me Wink

@ steelwork
    I like this hobby and share whatever I can with everyone as we all are inspired from each other.
    there are some great builds and skills I am also inspired from.

• @ steelwork
    I like this hobby and share whatever I can with everyone as we all are inspired from each other.
    there are some great builds and skills I am also inspired from.

Hey Omer,
    i like to watche these details, because one the one hand it's generally
    interesting, on the other hand you might get an idea how to solve a problem
    while modifying a model.

After 20 years i started last december to reactivate my skills in modifying
    models. So currently i have a 1:18 scale project and i will show it here
    after finishing :)

• Your filigran body work is really awesome!!

thank you!

Hey Micha!

thank you and glad you liked my project.
    I will be very much looking forward to your project as well. why don't you share the work in progress with us so we all can comment and suggest while you are building your model ;)
    and welcome back to modelling after so long :winken:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!